Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Git, while the gittin's good!


Since late April I've been investing in learning Git for practical reasons. A new project my team's begun at work wasn't going to be done using Perforce (because we all hate it) and, rather than use Subversion, we thought it would be a great time to see what the future holds (or pay homage to Linus: you decide which).

Git's got some great features (how's that for an alliterative louange?) including administration via gitolite. Yesterday, I spent 7 hours in a course on it to help wrap up three months of stumbling around in the dark and getting bailed out of dangerous situations by my nephew who's an expert with it.

I think the things I like best about Git are:

    - git status
    - easy manipulation of branches
    - git stash
    - speed
    - did I mention git status?

After using Perforce for a few months, I can't believe how much I've missed a status-revealing command and Git's not only tells you what's what, it tells you what you can do about it.

I think I'm going to have to replace my Subversion server at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment