Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Won't get fooled again!

Tunis falls and a new government is installed.

As I watch Egyptians struggle to throw off their oppressive government in turn, and I see an opposition leader hasten to profit from the situation by assuring the people that he's ready to champion their cause, I can't help but think of what for me was the greatest hit The Who ever had. I don't think I need to say more; the sense and drama of this song doesn't need me to belabor it. It's a story as old as government itself:

Meet the new boss—same as the old boss!

Bet your sweet bippy.

On an obliquely related subject, ...

I naturally went to the web to find a suitable performance of this song and picked the link below. I was doubly rewarded not only a fine performance and the memory of what it's like to be so young and supple (look at what Peter Townshend can do while playing his Les Paul), but I also found this comment below the video. Priceless.

Me: Man, the Rolling Stones are awesome!!!
Friend: The who?
Me: Them too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

No comments:

Post a Comment